blablabla


9/29/2012

Six Sentence Sunday: Cold Fog, Rising


http://sixsunday.com/

Hey there Sunday, Sunday Sixers! How are you all doing today? I admit, I have been absent more often than not these last few weeks. Today, I'll share a longer excerpt to make up for it. :) This is a whole scene, and the end of chapter 3 of The Days Adrift, my YA novel WIP. ->Last time the main character almost lost herself to the water, but Brita, one of the other two girls on board pulled her back into the boat at the very last second. This time, the protagonist struggles to find her place in this dire situation, being lost out at sea.
Your comments & criticisms are very helpful and precious to me, and I want to encourage you again to share each and any thought you have. Thank you.


There is no sign of an outpost, no sign of anything in the dense morning fog. Tams unscrews the last bottle of water and hands it over to me. 

"Here." 

I get feeling she knows as well as I that we are completely lost. She doesn't have as much sailing expertise on her back, but she still knows me.

The nagging look she gives me doesn't fail to remind me that there is something to be done about the situation, something on my part.
I mean, what does she expect?

Oh my, poor little Brita sits at the bow and stares across the water like a watchdog, turning her head left and right, so as not to miss any signal above ocean level. 

There is none. There hasn't been one for over a week. 
After days without food we are narrowed to a weak signal ourselves.

Are we just waiting to die out here?

I remember, I was only five years old, when my father took me out boating for the very first time. I loved every minute of it. We went deep-sea fishing the following summer, and he let me help throw out the net. Back then I could barely reach the fiddle with my nose.

At the age of ten, I knew how to steer a motorized boat, with twelve I could easily find my way home without the help of the stars; he told me to keep an even keel to where the cold fog rises.

At fourteen he pronounced me seaworthy and presented me with my own captain’s hat. He would mess up my hair, and then put it on my head...

Dad... 

In a desperate maneuver I turn the cockleshell northeast, towards the soon to be rising sun; an even keel to where the cold fog rises.
It's a long shot, but it's the only chance we have.

"Let's head towards Old Venice." 

I barely recognize my own voice. 
Brita turns around in surprise and she claps her hands, cheering me on. "Old Venice, here we come!"  

Exude confidence when captaining -always.

How could I ever forget? 

My whole body shivers as I reach for the handle to resume my post. I can never tell whether it is from the cold or from hunger.

I look over at Tams and she smiles at me, through slight wafts of mist.



14 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great way to set up your character's backstory. Brita seems to be bouncing back. It's good to have you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very nice, Dana. Terrific details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steven, coming from the master of detail himself, that's quite a compliment! :)

      Delete
  3. Nice! Pulling in backstory, the imagery is great--the list, sense of being lost, and then, decision. Excellent transition, Dana!

    Love it, dearie... and welcome back :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the "mist" lol, not the list! ;-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Reesie, the misty list, yes, I love it. :) I had to edit and shift some things around quite a few times, it wouldn't quite fit, felt bulky. Sunday Six is always such great exercise for me, and I love to do it for this special occasion. Thank you my dear! Hearts!

      Delete
  4. You do such a lovely job of humanizing your characters and immersing the reader in the story. Such a skilled use of detail to build the scene and characterization. Terrific writing, Dana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't express how good that makes me feel, I'm quite stunned actually. Thank you, Monica!

      Delete
  5. This one is tugging at my heart strings and my writer's "spidey-sense". I need a full work day tomorrow to reread and ponder the vibes I'm getting from this. It's your usual amazing writing and characterization for sure, though something is different with this piece than your others. I'm struggling to put my finger on it. I'll take it to work with me and ponder it tomorrow. Be back with a more though provoking post then. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, yay, tugging at strings! :) So, I'm very curious to find out what you found to be different about this snippet. Maybe it's the backstory info woven into all of this? I'd love to find out! :)

      Delete
    2. The more I read it and thought about it the the notion I had dispersed. It felt like the voice was different in this than the other posts. though I think it was just that she is reflecting in this one so it changed slightly. It works. ;)

      Delete
    3. Yes, that makes complete sense, the snippet has this long introspective part in it with the backstory merged in..not too elegantly done. it's always good to know when there is a difference..or an odd feel to it. I am way too close to the whole thing, and the objective eye of a fellow writer is priceless. So thank you for bringing it to my attention. This part def. needs some rework.

      Delete
  6. I really like your description. The characters and the feel of the sea are totally real. Great work!

    ReplyDelete